Monday, July 27, 2015

Our Favorite Things Blog Post




Welcome to day 15 of Our Favorite Things Blog Hop Tour with the Ambassadors for Island Batik.  I've been enjoying the blog posts each day, and today is my day to show you my sewing area and some of my favorite things.

Here is a look at my sewing area from one side of our family room.  


My family has been really kind in letting me use about half of our family room for quilting.  I think they've even gotten used to the hum of the sewing machine- even when watching tv!  However- if anyone knows of a company that makes really quiet machines- let me know!

The wood cabinets along the bottom of the far wall were made by my father-in-law.  They used to store the kids games, but now are exclusive for fabric!  I think they are really beautiful and love that they hide my fabric now.

The two mini quilts above the fireplace are from my new book Little Gems by Martingale Publishers.

On the right side above the wood cabinets are three smaller plastic shelves for thread.  The two shelves above that are my quilting books, current business/project files, etc.  Behind the rolling quilt chair is my ironing board- I love being able to sew, turn around and press!

Across from the sewing machine on the left is  my cutting table that has a couple drawers and shelf space.  A file cabinet fits under one side for business files and a small wooden cart on the other side for mis. items like ribbons, papers for foundation piecing, cameras, etc.  On top of the cutting table is a stack of beautiful Island Batik fabrics that you'll see more of in the Island Batik Blog Hop in August.

And - the floor!  Yes, that is my layout/design area.  You can see a work in process. I make a quilt that incorporates the design of our local Quilt Garden each year. The garden quilts are displayed in our local Welcome Center adjacent to the garden.  This is the quilt for this year - still in process.  Did I tell you how great my family is about my quilting?  Everyone just steps around my projects (not ON them of course!)


Here's a photo of my ironing area behind my sewing machine.  I bought two - three drawer plastic units for fabric and bought a board for on top and covered it with batting and muslin.  Lowes had a board just the right size already precut.   This works wonderfully!  Beside this I have an Ott Light that I can turn when I iron, or turn back when I'm sitting in the rocking chair.


Here's a peek inside the cabinets by the fireplace.  Lots of plastic storage boxes for fabric.  Okay- I admit it doesn't usually (ever) look this nice.  It usually has stacks of fabric in front of all the boxes!  Sometimes it's fabric to put back in the boxes and sometimes (usually) there just isn't enough room in the boxes...


My sewing machine cabinet is one of my favorite things.  I designed it and had a local Amish man make it for me.  The machine is recessed so the sewing bed is level with the table.  It has sides that extend on the left side and all across the back.  To the right are plastic shelves that store my small fabric scraps.  Another unit is to the left under the table.  Wonder what that old phone book is for on the floor?  It's to put your left foot up on while you're sewing - one of those ergonomic tips I picked up somewhere...


Another one of my favorite things is the wooden display case my husband and I found at a consignment shop.  It holds a lot of quilts.  Other finished quilts are stored upstairs in a couple closets upstairs.  My batting is stored in the basement.

Opposite the fireplace is our computer.  In case you're wondering, no, we don't use the fireplace!  We also have a couch beside the rocker and a TV/stereo beside the display case.

My space is small, but it's nice to be where all the family activity is when the kids are home.  One drawback with a small room is that it gets messy pretty quick!  Luckily I was one of the later ones to post on this blog hop, so I had some time to clean up!  My sewing machine is seldom ever totally cleared off like this.  I think it lasted a day until I had projects spread out again!  Even though I cleaned up for the photos, I still noticed 7 projects in process laying around (I counted them).  I can't seem to ever just do one thing at a time...

Here's the list of stops on the blog hop again.  If you've just started the hop- be sure and go back and check out the other days.  It's great to see how everyone can transform a special spot to be creative in!

07/13 - Linda Pearl of One Quilting Circle
07/14 – Barbara Gaddy of Bejeweled Quilts by Barb
07/15 – Maryellen McAuliffe of Mary Mack’s Blog
07/16 – Christine Martinez of Made In Scraps
07/17 – Maria Hrabovsky of Maria’s Quilt Scraps and Quilts For Sale 
07/18 – Tammy Silvers of Tamarinis
07/19 – Joan Kawano of Moosestash Quilting
07/20 – Marlene Oddie of Kissed Quilts
07/21 – Nan Baker  of Purrfect Spots Blog
07/22 – Adele Mogavero of Adelemogavero.com
07/23 – Pam Geisel of For Quilts Sake
07/24 – Bea Lee of Beaquilter
07/25 – Connie Campbell of Freemotion by the River 
07/26 – Pam Boatright of Pamela Quilts
07/27 –  Connie Kauffmann of Kauffmann Designs
07/28 – Patti Bochey of Lemon Tree Snippets
07/29 – Carol Steely of Funthread Designs, LLC


Now that you've seen the sewing areas of the Island Batik Ambassadors- stay tuned for the next Blog Hop with Island Batik starting Aug 17th  called Summer in the Country and see what we've all done with their Summer fabric lines!

Summer-in-the-Country-Participants


15 comments:

  1. I like the idea of having a sewing space where you can be with the rest of the family! Love your space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little but mighty! Ha, I like that you can count (7) your UFOs; I'm afraid of doing that in my sewing space. Maybe I can finish a few before I count them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!!!! I also share my sewing space in the basement family room and sometimes they do not appreciate the hum of my sewing machine!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great space! You've really maximized that small space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post makes me smile because I do almost all my piecing and sewing on treadles, and they make almost no noise, and are in my living room so I can watch TV if I feel like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed when I read your confession! I love that you had a clean space for a day! And the quilts over the fireplace look awesome. I love your book. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pleasant area you have, and how nice to be able to be around your family at the same time! It's amazing how we can make whatever we have available work for our spaces! Love the cabinets, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful place to create Connie! Your table is perfect and thanks for the tip about the phone book.....I'm going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous sewing machine table. Nothing beats the quality that goes into anything the Amish do! Love the phone book idea. I save them for strip piecing on the pages. and now I know just where to store them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your space, especially the built in cabinets along the wall. Want to do that in my studio someday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a great space! The fact that it is open is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your little area. You have made it compact and functional at the same time.
    quilting dash lady at Comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a neat, cozy sewing place. I try to straighten up my area and I end up sewing instead. I guess I like sewing better than cleaning/sorting. Mary E.

    ReplyDelete